
WWE has officially severed ties with Ridge Holland, terminating his contract several days ahead of its scheduled expiration. The move, confirmed on November 6, 2025, comes amid growing controversy surrounding Holland’s public criticism of the company and his ongoing injury recovery.
Holland, whose real name is Luke Menzies, was set to become a free agent on November 14 after a four-year stint with WWE. However, sources close to the situation confirm that WWE opted to end his deal early following a series of social media posts in which Holland voiced frustration over his financial situation and the company’s handling of his injury.
Holland’s Injury and Contract Situation
Ridge Holland’s WWE career came to an abrupt halt after he suffered a Lisfranc foot injury while representing NXT at a TNA Wrestling taping in September 2025. The injury, which requires extensive surgery and rehabilitation, is expected to keep him out of action until at least 2026.
Despite the severity of the injury, WWE had previously informed Holland in mid-October that his contract would not be renewed. At the time, the company reportedly planned to pay him through the end of his contract, but that arrangement changed after Holland took to social media to express his concerns.
“I never thought I’d not be able to pay my mortgage,” Holland wrote in a now-viral post. “I feel like I’ve just been hung out to dry after getting injured working for another company on behalf of WWE.”
Social Media Outburst Sparks Backlash
Holland’s candid comments quickly drew attention from fans and fellow wrestlers, with many expressing sympathy for the 37-year-old former rugby league player. However, WWE reportedly viewed his posts as a breach of contract, leading to the decision to terminate his deal early.
According to Fightful Select, WWE’s legal team determined that Holland’s public statements violated the confidentiality and conduct clauses in his contract. As a result, the company moved to end his employment immediately, rather than allowing him to remain on the roster until November 14.
“WWE felt that his comments were not only damaging to the company’s reputation but also a clear violation of the terms he agreed to,” said a WWE insider familiar with the situation. “They had already decided not to renew his contract, but the social media posts gave them the grounds to cut ties early.”
Financial Fallout and Fan Reaction
The early termination of Holland’s contract means he will no longer receive regular payments from WWE, despite the company continuing to cover the costs of his surgery and physical therapy. This has left Holland in a precarious financial position, as he faces months of recovery without a steady income.
Fans have rallied around Holland, with many calling for WWE to provide additional support during his rehabilitation. Some have even suggested that Holland consider legal action against the company, citing the circumstances of his injury and the abrupt end to his contract.
“There’s a lot of sympathy for Ridge right now,” said a longtime WWE fan on social media. “He’s been a solid performer for years, and to see him left in this situation after getting hurt on the job is really tough.”
Others, however, have questioned Holland’s financial management, noting that he was once a main roster star and likely earned a substantial salary during his time with WWE. “I get that injuries are tough, but after seven years in the company, you’d think he’d have some savings set aside,” one fan commented.
WWE’s Broader Talent Strategy
Holland’s departure is part of a larger trend at WWE, as the company continues to tighten its purse strings and reduce its talent pool under the TKO ownership. Several other wrestlers have been released or informed that their contracts would not be renewed in 2025, reflecting a shift in WWE’s approach to roster management.
“WWE is being much more cautious about who they keep on the roster,” said a source close to the company’s talent relations department. “They’re looking to cut costs and focus on younger, more marketable talent. Ridge was a casualty of that strategy.”
Despite the controversy, WWE has maintained that it is fulfilling its obligations to Holland by covering his medical expenses. “We are committed to supporting our talent through injuries, but we also have to enforce the terms of our contracts,” the company stated in a brief press release.
What’s Next for Ridge Holland?
With his WWE career officially over, Holland now faces an uncertain future in professional wrestling. While he is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries, the financial strain of his situation may limit his options in the short term.
Some speculate that Holland could look to return to the independent circuit or explore opportunities in other promotions, but for now, his focus remains on rehabilitation.
“I’m just trying to get healthy and figure out what’s next,” Holland said in a recent interview. “It’s been a tough year, but I’m not giving up.”
Backstage Perspective
The situation has sparked debate within the wrestling community, with some insiders expressing concern about how WWE handles injured talent.
“WWE has a responsibility to take care of their guys, especially when they get hurt on the job,” said a veteran WWE producer who requested anonymity. “Ridge’s case is a reminder that the business can be brutal, and not everyone gets the support they need.”
As the wrestling world watches Holland’s next steps, the controversy surrounding his departure serves as a stark reminder of the challenges faced by athletes in the industry.