Monday Night RAW took a wild turn last week when Rusev, the Bulgarian Brute, made headlines not for a match or promo, but for an unexpected backstage controversy involving a fan’s shattered phone. The incident, which quickly went viral on social media, has sparked debate among fans and WWE insiders alike—especially after Rusev confirmed he has no intention of reimbursing the fan for the damaged device.
Chaos at the Barricade
The incident occurred during Rusev’s entrance on the June 23, 2025 episode of RAW. As the former United States Champion made his way to the ring, a fan reached over the barricade, attempting to get a closer look or perhaps a selfie with the returning superstar. In the chaos, Rusev’s forceful movement—part of his signature aggressive entrance—knocked the fan’s phone from their hand, shattering it on the arena floor.
Videos of the moment quickly circulated online, showing the fan visibly upset as they held up the cracked device. While some fans expressed sympathy, others pointed out that reaching over the barricade during a wrestler’s entrance is a risky move, especially with someone as physically imposing as Rusev.
Rusev’s No-Regrets Stance
When approached by SHAK Wrestling for comment, Rusev was blunt in his response. “I am not responsible for what happens when fans put themselves in dangerous situations,” he said. “If you reach over the barricade during my entrance, you take your chances. I am not here to pay for your phone.”
Rusev’s comments have drawn mixed reactions. Some fans agree with his stance, arguing that personal responsibility should be a factor when interacting with superstars at live events. Others feel that WWE, or at least the involved talent, should offer some form of compensation for property damage.
According to a WWE insider who spoke on condition of anonymity, “Rusev’s attitude is consistent with how he’s always operated. He’s not one to apologize for being aggressive, especially during his entrances. The company is aware of the situation, but there’s no official policy that requires talent to pay for fan property damage.”
WWE’s Unwritten Rulebook
The incident has reignited the conversation about fan safety and responsibility at live WWE events. While WWE security typically discourages fans from reaching over barricades, the reality is that many still do—especially when popular or returning stars make their entrances.
“WWE has always maintained that fans are responsible for their own safety and property,” the insider added. “There are signs, announcements, and security personnel, but ultimately, if you reach over the barricade, you’re taking a risk. Rusev’s not the first to have this happen, and he won’t be the last.”
Still, the situation has prompted some fans to call for clearer guidelines or even insurance policies for personal items at live events. For now, WWE appears to be standing by its current approach, leaving the onus on fans to be cautious.
Social Media Reacts
Unsurprisingly, the incident has become a hot topic on social media. Some fans have rallied behind Rusev, praising his no-nonsense attitude. “If you reach over the barricade, you’re asking for trouble,” one Twitter user wrote. “Rusev’s not a babysitter.”
Others have taken a more critical stance. “It’s one thing to be aggressive in the ring, but breaking a fan’s phone feels excessive,” another user commented. “At the very least, a simple apology would go a long way.”
The debate has even spilled over into wrestling forums and fan communities, with some arguing that Rusev’s response could damage his reputation among casual fans. “He’s always been a bit of a heel, but this feels different,” said one longtime WWE follower. “It’s not about the phone—it’s about how he handled it.”
Rusev’s Return and Future Plans
Despite the controversy, Rusev’s return to RAW has been one of the most talked-about moments of the night. The Bulgarian Brute, known for his dominant presence and patriotic promos, has been absent from WWE programming for several months. His return was met with a mix of cheers and boos, reflecting his polarizing legacy.
Sources close to WWE’s creative team suggest that Rusev’s return is part of a larger storyline involving Sheamus, with the two set to clash in the coming weeks. “Rusev’s entrance was designed to be chaotic and unpredictable,” the insider revealed. “The phone incident was unfortunate, but it fits his character. Expect more intensity as his feud with Sheamus heats up.”
What’s Next for Rusev and WWE?
As the dust settles on the phone incident, all eyes are on Rusev’s next move. Will he address the controversy on WWE programming, or will he continue to stand by his no-apology stance? And how will WWE handle similar situations in the future?
For now, the message is clear: Rusev brings the chaos during his entrance, but if you’re standing too close or reaching over the barricade, that’s on you. Whether fans agree or not, one thing is certain—Rusev’s return has already made a lasting impression.
Stay tuned to our site for more WWE news, exclusive interviews, and behind-the-scenes updates as the story develops.