Andrade’s WWE Release and Immediate Aftermath
Manuel Alfonso Andrade Oropeza, better known to wrestling fans as Andrade, has once again found his career at a crossroads following a surprising release from WWE in late summer 2025[2][7][8]. The former NXT Champion had been making waves in his second WWE run, most notably teaming with Rey Fenix and competing in high-profile matches such as the SummerSlam six-pack Tables, Ladders, and Chairs tag team championship bout[2][7]. However, since his last WWE appearance in early August, Andrade mysteriously disappeared from television and the company’s internal roster, eventually being moved to the WWE Alumni page[2][7][8].
According to reports, Andrade’s release was not part of a larger talent purge, nor was it tied to budget cuts—making it a notably isolated and abrupt exit[2][7]. “This wasn’t about money or downsizing,” a WWE insider told The Takedown on SI. “From what I’m hearing, things just didn’t work out between both sides, but it wasn’t a mutual parting either.”[7] The exact reasons behind his departure remain unclear, with speculation ranging from creative differences to behind-the-scenes contractual disputes.
AEW Comeback and the Non-Compete Saga
Shortly after his WWE release, Andrade made a dramatic return to All Elite Wrestling (AEW), attacking Kenny Omega and aligning himself with the Don Callis Family at AEW’s sixth-anniversary Dynamite episode on October 1, 2025[6]. This was seen as a major coup for AEW, given Andrade’s star power and international appeal. However, his return was abruptly stalled when WWE reportedly sent a cease-and-desist letter to AEW, claiming his appearance violated a non-compete clause tied to his WWE exit[6].
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that Andrade was taken off AEW television and removed from creative plans as the two companies wrangled over the validity of the clause[6]. Tony Khan, AEW President, addressed the situation during a recent media call: “We’re excited about Andrade’s potential in AEW, but we’re currently navigating some contractual matters that are out of our hands. We hope to have him back in the ring as soon as possible.”[4]
Industry insiders suggest that WWE’s parent company, TKO Group, may have instituted a stricter non-compete clause for releases that are not mutually agreed upon, especially if a talent is let go for cause or breach of contract[4]. “If you’re fired for cause by WWE now, there’s a one-year non-compete in play, which is new for a lot of talents,” a source close to the situation revealed[4]. This could keep Andrade off AEW programming—and possibly other major promotions—for up to a year[6].
Independent Circuit and Fan Reactions
Unable to compete in AEW or WWE, Andrade has turned to the independent wrestling scene. He was recently booked for matches with The Crash Lucha Libre, where he captured the promotion’s heavyweight title, and is advertised for upcoming appearances in Maine and New York, according to PWInsider[6]. These dates are generating significant buzz among fans, some of whom are disappointed to see a top-tier talent relegated to indie shows while his future with major promotions hangs in the balance.
“Nobody wants to see a guy like Andrade sitting on the sidelines,” said a veteran wrestling journalist who covers the Northeast indie scene. “He’s one of the best in-ring workers in the world, and the fans know it. Everyone’s watching to see what happens next.”
The Path Back to WWE: Is a Return Possible?
With his AEW status clouded by the non-compete and his relationship with WWE seemingly in limbo, speculation is mounting that Andrade could be headed for yet another WWE comeback—his third stint with the company[1][3]. Sources close to the situation indicate that lines of communication between Andrade’s camp and WWE management have remained open, despite the acrimonious nature of his exit[3].
“There’s a lot of history there, obviously, but WWE has always valued Andrade’s in-ring skill,” a source familiar with WWE’s talent relations department said. “If the stars align, don’t be shocked if he’s back in the fold sooner rather than later.”[3]
Rumors of his potential return have been fueled further by recent reports suggesting that Andrade’s wrestling future could be back on WWE’s radar[1][3]. “WWE sources have kept tabs on his indie appearances, and there’s talk that if the non-compete situation drags on, there could be an opportunity for both sides to reset,” according to a pro wrestling industry insider[3].
Andrade’s Career in Context
Andrade’s journey through North American wrestling has been nothing short of a roller coaster. After rising to prominence in Mexico and Japan, he signed with WWE in 2015, capturing the NXT title and later the United States Championship on the main roster[2][6]. His initial WWE run ended in 2021 when he requested and was eventually granted his release, leading to a stint in AEW as Andrade El Idolo[6].
His 2024 WWE return was one of the most talked-about moments of that year’s Royal Rumble, but his second WWE run—while filled with notable matches—lacked the sustained push that many fans and analysts expected[2][8]. His final WWE appearance was at SummerSlam in a show-stealing tag team championship TLC match, after which his absence became conspicuous and rumors of his imminent departure began to spread[2][7][8].
In AEW, Andrade never reached the championship heights many predicted, and his run was marred by inconsistency and a high-profile backstage altercation with Sammy Guevara in 2022, which reportedly made AEW leadership hesitant about bringing him back after his WWE release[8]. Still, AEW’s Tony Khan has spoken highly of Andrade in public appearances, signaling that the door may not be completely closed should the legal issues resolve[4].
What’s Next for Andrade?
As of late October 2025, Andrade’s wrestling future is shrouded in uncertainty. He remains one of the industry’s most talented performers, but his ability to showcase that talent on the biggest stages is currently in doubt. The coming months will be critical: will his non-compete be enforced, keeping him off AEW television until 2026? Will WWE make a move to bring back a proven commodity? Or will Andrade continue to make waves on the independent circuit, building his value for whatever comes next?
“At this point, nothing would surprise me,” said a longtime wrestling analyst. “He’s been released and come back before. He’s jumped promotions. The only sure thing is that wherever Andrade ends up, he’ll make an impact.”
Conclusion: Awaiting the Next Big Move
Andrade’s career is a testament to both the unpredictability and the opportunities that define modern professional wrestling. Fans and industry insiders alike are watching closely as the clock ticks on his non-compete and WWE potentially prepares for another surprise return. Whether in WWE, AEW, or on the indie circuit, Andrade remains a must-watch talent—and his next move could reshape the wrestling landscape once again.