Jake Hager, formerly known in WWE as Jack Swagger and now an AEW talent, has revealed that John Cena refused to lose the WWE Championship to him during a planned Money in the Bank (MITB) cash-in nearly 15 years ago. The revelation sheds new light on behind-the-scenes creative disagreements that shaped Hager’s WWE run and offers fans a rare glimpse into the politics of wrestling’s top locker room.
The Original Plan: Swagger vs. Cena Cash-In
In 2010, Jack Swagger won the Money in the Bank ladder match at WrestleMania 26, granting him a contract to cash in for a world title opportunity at any time. The initial creative direction, according to Hager himself during a sit-down on the Insight with Chris Van Vliet podcast, was for him to cash in directly on then-WWE Champion John Cena on an episode of Raw. Hager explained that the plan was to have him decisively defeat Cena, not just tease the cash-in but fully win the title from the face of the company.
However, this plan was scrapped abruptly due to Cena’s refusal to drop the championship to a relative newcomer.
“Oh, yeah, he absolutely refused to do it,” Hager stated. “I was told that was what happened. Because the original plan was that I was going to beat him Monday night on Raw and not do the tease. But I’m a young guy. I mean, I’ve been there for a cup of coffee, so what are you going to do?”[1][2][5]
Cena’s Reluctance and Its Impact on Hager’s WWE Career
Hager implied that Cena’s resistance to losing cleanly to younger talent like himself was not unique. According to the former WWE World Heavyweight Champion, Cena had a history throughout his career of protecting his image and sometimes blocking pushes for emerging wrestlers. This perspective contrasts with Cena’s commonly respected reputation as a locker room leader.
“It’s not like I was the only guy he’s done that to,” Hager remarked. “He did that throughout his career.” He also expressed surprise at Cena’s recent cooperation with R-Truth, where Cena appeared more willing to share the spotlight, suggesting that even Cena’s stance evolves over time.[2][4]
A WWE insider who spoke on anonymity confirmed to Wrestling Inc. that backstage discussions around the time of Swagger’s MITB victory were complicated by Cena’s position atop the company. “Cena was a huge draw, and while management wanted new stars to emerge, John held significant influence over how and to whom he would lose. This led to creative shifts that sometimes stalled younger talent’s momentum,” the source revealed.
How the Cash-In Ended Up Against Chris Jericho
After Cena reportedly declined the loss, the WWE pivoted so that Swagger would cash in his briefcase on Chris Jericho instead. This occurred on the March 30, 2010, episode of SmackDown, where Hager successfully seized the World Heavyweight Championship, marking what would be one of the biggest moments of his WWE career.
Hager described the moment as bittersweet — while winning the title was a huge achievement, he felt the chance to defeat Cena would have elevated his status far more significantly. “I hit Cena with the briefcase, I snuck up on him during one of his promo segments,” Hager recalled, “but later I found out he refused to do the job for me for the championship.”[3]
The Fallout: A Career Stalled?
Since then, Jake Hager has transitioned out of WWE, embarking on a successful phase in All Elite Wrestling (AEW) as a dominant force in the ring. Looking back, he sometimes expresses frustration about the stalled momentum that the Cena situation arguably caused.
Industry observers note that wrestlers denied significant pushes like a WWE title win over a megastar challenger often face prolonged setbacks in status and opportunity. As one backstage source remarked, “In WWE, timing and who says ‘yes’ can make or break a career. For someone like Jack Swagger, that lost cash-in on Cena was a missed golden ticket.”
The Broader Context: Cena’s Role in WWE’s Younger Talent
John Cena has long been recognized as the face of WWE for over a decade, carrying the company’s brand and achieving unprecedented success. However, Hager’s claims highlight the tensions that sometimes accompany stardom, where a top star’s reluctance to lose to emerging talents can impact the latter’s trajectory.
Interestingly, Hager pointed out a contrast between Cena’s actions then and his recent alliance with R-Truth, where Cena reportedly supported R-Truth taking the WWE 24/7 Championship rather than seeking the spotlight himself. This evolution suggests a more mentorship-driven approach in Cena’s later WWE appearances, in stark contrast to earlier periods.[2][4]
Final Thoughts
Jake Hager’s candid disclosures offer fans and industry insiders a rare insight into the complicated dynamics behind WWE’s booking decisions. While John Cena’s refusal to drop the title to Hager altered the course of the latter’s WWE career, it also exemplifies the delicate balance between protecting top stars and elevating new ones.
As Cena concludes his farewell tour, marking the end of an era, stories like Hager’s remind us of the nuanced backstage realities that shape wrestling history. Whether fans agree or disagree with Hager’s perspective, his account contributes to the broader dialogue about WWE’s creative politics and star protection.
If you use any quotes from this article, please credit the “Insight with Chris Van Vliet” podcast and provide h/t to Wrestling Inc. for transcription.