Tonight’s WWE Friday Night SmackDown is live from the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. It’s post edition of WWE Day 1 pay-per-view event and WWE announced few matches and segments for the show.
WWE announced that WWE Champion Brock Lesnar and Universal Champion Roman Reigns will be on the tonight’s show for face-to-face confrontation. The New Day will challenge SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos for the titles in Street Fight and Rick Boogs will battle Sami Zayn in singles match.
– Tonight’s WWE Friday Night SmackDown opened with Universal Champion Roman Reigns making his way to the ring. Reigns takes the mic and calls everyone to acknowledge him. He says he misses one week and everything falls apart. He continued that when you’re in isolation, you do a lot of thinking.
Roman Reigns says there’s so many things he wanted to say and do, so many people he wanted to see, but two people, and he doesn’t want to ever see those two in his life again. Those two are WWE Champion Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman. Now, music interrupts and here comes Paul Heyman and Brock Lesnar.
Heyman takes the mic and goes to do grand introduction for Brock Lesnar, but Lesnar stops him and takes the mic. He went steps closer to Reigns face and introduces himself to Reigns as the reigning, defending, WWE Champion of the world. Heyman gives him props for the intro, saying it was better for him. Then, Lesnar mocks Reigns, telling him to acknowledge him.
Brock Lesnar says Reigns always has a lot to say, but Lesnar doesn’t and he got what he wanted last Saturday at Day 1, Reigns got what he wanted. Now why don’t we give everybody what they want and proposes Title vs. Title match. He tells Reigns to let’s do this. But Reigns takes a few steps back, and says it’s a good idea, but it’s not his idea. Reigns steps to Lesnar and says this is his show, and we do what he says on his time, and on top of that, Reigns doesn’t do business with people who do business with trash like Heyman.
Then, Paul Heyman asks Reigns how can he talk to him, of all the people in the world, like this? Heyman tells how helped Reigns having his title and keeping it and goes on about protecting Reigns from Lesnar, and loving him because he was his Tribal Chief. Now, Brock Lesnar interrupts and asks Heyman what he just said. Heyman says while Lesnar was gone, Reigns was all he had, and he worshipped the ground he walked on.
Brock Lesnar tells Heyman to shut up. Reigns tells Lesnar not to speak to Heyman like that. Then, Lesnar says or what? Heyman, a bit scared, asks Lesnar not to speak to Reigns like that. Lesnar yells Heyman to shut up. Reigns suddenly hits Superman Punch to Brock Lesnar and exits the ring. Lesnar looks on from the mat, and a shocked Heyman looks on. Reigns yells back at Lesnar about how the Universal Title is his.
– Sami Zayn at backstage with Megan Morant. He talks about how he became the #1 contender for the Intercontinental Title and not happy with Shinsuke Nakamura ducking him tonight and putting Rick Boogs in his way. He goes on about teaching Boogs a lesson tonight, but he sees Jackass star Johnny Knoxville and walks up to him.
Knoxville says he’s here to talks to management for a spot in the 30-Man Royal Rumble Match. Zayn rips him for not being qualified for what WWE Superstars do, and says he hasn’t qualified for The Rumble. Sami tells Knoxville to show him, The Elder Statesman, that he has what it takes to get in the ring if he can, but until then, stay out of everyone’s way and walks off. Knoxville grunts at him.
– Rick Boogs defeated Sami Zayn via pinfall. After the match, Zayn sits up in frustration while Boogs celebrates with Nakamura at ringside. Boogs grabs his guitar and begins celebrating as Zayn talks trash from the ring. Suddenly, Johnny Knoxville enters the ring from behind and tosses Zayn over the top rope. Knoxville stands tall and Hamilton announces that Knoxville has just qualified for the 30-Man Royal Rumble Match.
– Kayla Braxton at backstage with The New Day. She mentions that tonight’s Street Fight with The Usos will be their last shot at taking the SmackDown Tag Team Titles from them. Sir Kofi Kingston and King Xavier Woods cut their royal promos on tonight’s match and are confident that they will leave with the gold.
– SmackDown Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair makes her way to the ring. Flair knocks normal people for their normal New Year’s Resolutions and says her’s are history making. She brings up the 30-Woman Royal Rumble Match and how Superstars can make history. She sends us to a video package that reveals the entrants for the match this year – Rhea Ripley, Nikki A.S.H., WWE Hall of Famers The Bella Twins, Shotzi, Natalya, Michelle McCool, WWE 24/7 Champion Dana Brooke, WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions Carmella and Queen Zelina Vega, Impact Knockouts Champion Mickie James, Tamina Snuka, Kelly Kelly, Aliyah, Summer Rae, Naomi, Shayna Baszler, and WWE Hall of Famer Lita.
Charlotte Flair says that is an incredible list and goes on about how she has the privilege of announcing a game-changer for the match, someone special. Flair goes on praising that special person and then reveals that none other herself, Charlotte Flair. Flair will be in the match this year, and says she will go on to pick the challenger of her choosing at WrestleMania. Now, music interrupts and here comes Naomi.
Naomi says Flair can pick her challenger now, doesn’t have to wait until WrestleMania, and can defend against her right now. Flair knows Naomi was champion a few years ago, but has done nothing recently to earn a match. Naomi says she knows she’s done this, slaps Flair in the face. Flair seethes and goes to attack but Naomi sends her through the ropes to the floor.
– Charlotte Flair defeated Naomi via pinfall. After the match, Deville takes the mic at ringside and announces Naomi as the loser, and Flair as the winner. Flair begins to celebrate in the ring as Deville looks on.
– Kayla Braxton at backstage with SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos. She mentions how The New Day isn’t thrilled with their final title shot from The Usos coming as a Street Fight. The Usos talks about how The New Day had their chance at Day 1, where they paid homage to one of the greatest tag teams in history, WWE Hall of Famers The Dudleys, with the 3D that they now call the 1D. The Usos say their rivalry with The New Day ends tonight as they will retain tonight and show why everyone calls them The Ones.
– Adam Pearce at backstage with Sonya Deville and says he’s been on the phone all night and since WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns has no opponent for the Royal Rumble, he needs one. Pearce is going to pick that opponent, and he’s been on the phone all night making calls about the match, and they want an opponent decided before the end of the night. Pearce has some ideas he wants to run by Deville and they walk off.
– Happy Baron Corbin makes his way to thr ring for the another edition of Happy Talk. Madcap Moss is shown on a graphic for the segment, along with a mystery guest. Corbin mentions how he’s by himself now, and says today with COVID-19 you have to be careful. Corbin says Drew McIntyre did not watch own back at WWE Day 1 and shows a video package of how he and Moss attacked McIntyre at Day 1 this past Saturday.
Corbin says that makes him incredibly happy and it was worth every penny of the fine they received. He and Moss thought they put McIntyre on the shelf for months and months but it turns out McIntyre is here tonight. Corbin calls on fans to give it up for tonight’s guest and gives a big introduction for McIntyre. Drew’s music hits but Madcap Moss came out, dressed like McIntyre, with a neck brace and a flaccid sword.
Moss takes a seat and Corbin interviews him as if this is McIntyre. They both mocking and insulting McIntyre until Moss finally reveals himself. It’s me, Moss! They both laugh but music interrupts and here comes The Viking Raiders. They rush the ring but Corbin and Moss retreat to the floor.
– Happy Corbin and Madcap Moss defeated The Viking Raiders via pinfall.
– Sheamus at backstage and takes a few shots at Drew McIntyre for being hurt, and mentions how Ricochet and Cesaro injured Ridge Holland at WWE Day 1. Sheamus can’t help but feel a bit responsible, but he’s entering the Men’s Royal Rumble and he will put a smile on Holland’s face when he eliminates 29 other Superstars to headline WrestleMania.
– Adam Pearce enters the Roman Reigns locker room suite and sits down. Reigns asks what he wants and Pearce says he’s chosen his next opponent. Reigns says if it’s not Pearce, he doesn’t care because there’s no one he hasn’t smashed yet. Reigns tells Pearce he’d like to watch The Usos vs. New Day match now, which means leave. Pearce gets up and walks out.
– The Usos defeated The New Day via pinfall in Street Fight and successfully retained their SmackDown Tag Team Titles. After the match, The Usos grab the titles and begin celebrating while Kofi is still laid out in the middle of the ring over the table.
We go back to the locker room suite of WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns. Someone knocks and Reigns tells them to come in. Seth Rollins enters the room and he started smiling at him. Reigns stands up to face Rollins. Rollins just starts laughing. Reigns realizes what is happening and he starts seething. Adam Pearce has sent Seth Rollins and he is the Roman Reigns challenger for the Royal Rumble and SmackDown goes off the air.