WWE Payback 2023 is taking place on Saturday, September 2, 2023, at the PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. As announced on the recent edition of Friday Night Smackdown, the 16-time World Champion John Cena will host the event. WWE announced six matches and a segment for the Payback event.
Here The WWE Payback 2023 Full Results
– Becky Lynch defeated Trish Stratus via pinfall in Steel Cage Match. At the closing moments of the match, Becky Lynch tried to escape cage from the top while Trish Stratus tried to exit from the cage door. Becky came and dragged her back but Zoey Stark came to help Trish. Becky hits Manhandle Slam on Trish for pin but Zoey break it.
Then, Becky hit Zoey with a manhandle slam. Meanwhile, Trish tried to escape Steel Cage from top but Becky quickly gets her and delivered manhandle slam from the top rope and pinned her for win.
After the match, Lynch stands tall as the music hits. Stark and Trish are still laid out. Lynch walks out of the cage and stops to sign an autograph or two for young fans at ringside. Lynch raises her hand in victory now, then heads to the back. We go back to the ring and fans boo as the heels recover. There’s some tension between Stratus and Stark.
Trish Stratus slaps Zoey Stark, then orders her out of the cage. Stark shuts the cage door instead and they have words. Stark drops Trish with the Z360 for a pop. Stark tosses her “Thank You Trish” t-shirt onto Stratus, then exits the ring as her music starts up.
– WWE Payback host – veteran WWE Superstar John Cena makes his way to the ring. Cena rushes to the ring as fans cheer him on. Cena welcomes us to Payback and talks about how he’s done a lot of firsts but never been a host. Cena said he would never have missed this. He found out his job as host is to make this show as special as he can, and what better way than to be the special guest referee for a match he’s had his eye on – The Miz vs. LA Knight. The music interrupts and out comes Miz.
Miz expected LA to pander to fans but not Cena. Miz says they call Cena the Greatest of All Time but as a host, he sucks. Cena asks if Miz has any advice. Miz says yeah… don’t put yourself in my match. Miz goes on and Cena says Miz still has it. Cena doesn’t like Miz but he does respect him. Cena pleads with Miz to give him some advice. Miz brags about hosting gigs he’s had and brings up WrestleMania, how he hosted and wrestled. So… be more involved? Yes.
Miz knocks Cena’s attire and says he looks like a Teletubby while Miz wore a $40,000 suit when he hosted. So… play the part? They go on and Cena turns Miz’s words around on him for this special referee gig. Miz says Cena doesn’t have a referee shirt, but now he does. They end up having a Yeah vs. No chant-off before the music hits and out comes LA Knight to a big pop.
– LA Knight defeated The Miz via pinfall. After the match, LA stands tall to a big pop as the music hits. LA and Cena are on the stage now. Cena takes off his referee shirt and LA has a few words for him. They face off now. Cena offers his hand for a shake but LA just looks at him.
John Cena says they don’t have to be friends, this is a sign of respect. LA Knight says you almost made me lose this match, was that respect? LA Knight finally shakes John Cena’s hand. John Cena aggressively raises LA’s arm in victory as fans cheer. John Cena heads to the back as LA Knight poses to more cheers.
– We see some of the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers in the crowd
– Rey Mysterio defeated Austin Theory via pinfall and successfully retained his WWE United States Championship. After the match, Rey celebrates with The LWO as the music hits. The LWO stands tall on the stage now with Rey on Escobar’s shoulders. An angry Theory stares them down from the ring.
– Cathy Kelley at backstage with Becky Lynch now to discuss tonight’s Steel Cage match. NXT Women’s Champion Tiffany Stratton interrupts, then congratulates Lynch on the win. Stratton says they got off on the wrong foot and she’s sorry for incorrectly saying Lynch was a former NXT champion. Lynch says she’s glad Stratton crawled out of her Mattel box, but maybe she should focus on Tuesday’s title match and then maybe Lynch will see her around. Stratton looks at Lynch, says “Tootles!” and walks off.
– The Judgment Day (Finn Balor and Damian Priest) defeated Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens in Steel City Street Figho and became the new Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions. At the closing moments of the match, Sami drops Finn with a big kick in the ring. Sami goes for a Helluva Kick to Finn but Priest runs and smashes Sami in the face with a trash can for a close 2 count.
Finn and Priest goes over Sami but Sami blocks the double team and knocks Finn through a table at ringside. Sami struggles with Priest but Owens makes the save with a Stunner. Sami ends up covering Priest for the pin but JD McDonagh appears from out of nowhere and pulls Priest to safety to break the pin up. The crowd goes wild.
Owens runs over and unloads on JD, then spikes him into the announce table. WWE Women’s World Champion Rhea Ripley charges from out of nowhere and puts Owens through a barrier with a big Spear. Fans chant “holy shit!” as Rhea laughs. Sami and Finn are getting up in the ring now. Finn with a Slingblade, then the corner dropkick.
Finn goes up top but Sami dodges Coup de Grace, then hits a big Exploder into the corner. Sami with a Helluva Kick but Dominik rushes in to break up the pin with a Money In the Bank briefcase shot. Finn then takes advantage and falls onto Sami for the pin to win the titles.
After the match, The Judgment Day stands tall as the music hits. The Judgment Day is on the stage now, celebrating with all the gold and yelling about how they run WWE.
– Grayson Waller is in the ring. He welcomes us to what may be the greatest edition of The Grayson Waller Effect of all-time. Waller rips on the locals some and says he could do this all night but let’s get down to it. Waller introduces his guest and out comes Cody Rhodes to a pop.
The music hits and pyro goes off as Cody poses for the fans, then heads to the ring. Cody sits down and goes to ask Pittsburgh what they want to talk about, but Waller cuts him off and says we’re not doing that, people only want to hear what he has to say. Waller asks Cody about his big announcement he heard going around the locker room. Waller says Cody has had a year of highs but also so many lows. Waller says he appreciates Cody begging to be on his show tonight, and asking for The Grayson Waller Rub.
Cody insults Waller and goes on about how predictable these talk show segments are. Cody asks if it will end in a Cross Rhodes. Waller says he’s too professional for his show to end like that. Cody goes on and says he will give Waller this big scoop. Cody says he saw something on a recent SmackDown that he felt like he had to right, so he used whatever stroke he had and made this happen… Cody welcomes the newest member of the Monday Night Raw roster – Jey Uso.
The music hits and out comes Jey Uso to a big pop. Cody and Uso stop at ringside and stare at each other. They nod at each other and keep walking their own ways. Jey hits the ring and poses in the corners. The music stops and Waller says he’s unprepared with no questions ready. Waller asks Jey how he feels about being on RAW.
Waller says as successful as Jey was in a tag team, he’s accomplished nothing else. Waller goes on throwing subtle shots as Jey and says he really needs the Waller Rub. Jey suddenly lays Waller out with a big superkick as Cody watches from the stage. The music starts back up as Jey plays to the crowd for a big pop.
– Rhea Ripley defeated Raquel Rodriguez via pinfall and successfully retained her WWE Women’s World Championship. At the closing moments of the match, NXT North American Champion Dominik Mysterio distracted Raquel Rodriguez and tries to drag Rhea from the ring. Raquel stares at him and Dominik tries to retreat but Raquel powerslams him for a big pop. This allows Rhea to take Raquel’s knee out again.
Rhea then kicks Raquel in the back of the head, and hits Riptide in the middle of the ring for the pin to win and retain. After the match, Ripley stands tall as the music hits. Ripley and Mysterio celebrate now with the gold in the air.
– Seth Rollins defeated Shinsuke Nakamura via pinfall and successfully retained his WWE World Heavyweight Championship. After the match, Rollins recovers as the music hits and we go to replays. Rollins takes his title and stands tall now, posing to cheers as some fans sing and Nakamura looks on. Payback goes off the air.